30.12.2024..... Tooth removed in a complicated extraction with buccal flap repair to cover exposed sinus cavity. Tooth root lost in sinus cavity.
29.07.2025.... Appointment with maxillofacial consultant, 7 months post tooth removal. Examined and CT scan ordered
18.08.2025.... CT scan done
09.02.2026.... Follow up appointment to discuss results of CT scan, almost 6 months after it was done. Listed for surgery.
12.03.2026.... Operation should have taken place but was cancelled a few days earlier.
09.04.2026.... Surgery to remove the tooth root, clean all the infection from my maxillary sinus and repair an oroantral fistula that turned out to be the size of a 5p coin.
12.04.2026.... Wound broke down/ stitches split
13.04.2026.... Hospital visit to have four stitches put into a 5mm hole
16.04.2026.... Hole reopened
18.04.2026.... Hospital visit and was told wound was intact. I knew it wasn't but didn't have the energy to argue with the junior doctor
20.04.2026... Appointment with my consultant. I was right, the 5mm hole had reopened. Arrangement made for further surgery to remove all previous stitches and re-repair the fistula.
22.04.2026....Surgery round 2. I bled a lot, my blood pressure dropped, my temperature fell and I needed oxygen but it's done. It was done at a different hospital but by the same surgical team. The anaesthetist was kindness personified. The nurses listened to me about the CFS and allowed me to sleep as long as I needed to. Surgery was at 9am and I left at 5.30pm during a waking window. I'd been to the loo around 4pm and it wiped me out so much I had to go back to sleep. I slept again when I got home, slept most of the night ( painkillers at 3am and a few pages of my book) and am still tired.
During the 16 months between the tooth extraction and my first surgery I have had a permanently swollen face due to infection that ebbed and flowed. I haven't been able to smile properly ( my mouth doesn't lift fully on the right hand side due to swelling). My face hurt, my teeth hurt, my nose throbbed and in the last month or so I developed a bubble/ pocket of skin near the extraction site that filled with infection and drained again. Since Christmas I could smell the infection that filled my maxillary sinus and I could taste it. Absolutely revolting.
I've been in bed for most of the last 2 weeks, just leaving the house for medical appointments. I don't know what I'll be like this time, hopefully not as bad as they didn't have to go into my sinus cavity as far as I know.
The bruising on my face was already showing yesterday afternoon. I've still got a badly bruised hand from the canula of the 9th April and bruising from yesterday's is appearing. So far the swelling doesn't seem as bad as last time and I dont feel as wobbly legged so maybe things wont be as bad. I've got silk sutures in, and will see the consultant in 2 weeks, with the sutures staying in for 3 or 4.
I really hope that everything remains intact and that will be the end of it.
I don't think I've got round 3 in me as far as the CFS is concerned.
Oh Scarlet, what a nightmare. No wonder people hate going to hospitals. I hope this round has succeeded xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Sooze. There's definitely not as much pain or swelling this time, so that's a positive. I've just got to keep my fingers crossed that the stitches hold, but it's a struggle food wise and my weight is still dropping.
DeleteSorry to hear it's all gone so badly..
ReplyDeleteThank you. It's all been a bit of a nightmare!
DeleteI'm so sorry. That is miserable and you deserve so much better care.
ReplyDeleteThanks SAM. It's been rough. I suspect that the delay between CT results and the next appointment was caused by the retirement of my consultant's secretary and his new one not being very good/ leaving after a few months. The doctor who told me it was intact last Saturday was part of the team for the operation. He was rather sheepish when he came round with his senior pre op.
Delete