I've ordered protein powder ( to be delivered tomorrow), I've bought baby food pouches of fruit puree, I've got tinned fruit to be blitzed down, I've got frozen red, black and white currants, and I've got huge tubs of Greek yoghurt.
I've got tins of soup and custard, and chickpeas to turn into hummus.
I'm aiming to pack in the protein and vitamin C in an effort to aid healing, whilst keeping the food soft and easy to swallow.
The registrar has said that they may need to do a palatal flap this time, which will involve taking a flap from the roof of my mouth and twisting it across to cover the 5p sized hole. They'll assess when they see me tomorrow. If youre feeling brave, Google palatal flap to see what it entails, including an open wound on the roof of the mouth which will take weeks to heal.
I had my pre-op this morning. I answered 129 questions online, many more questions at the clinic, had bloods and MRSA swabs done, had my height and weight checked ( I didn't look and asked that the number wasn't said aloud), and my BP and pulse were taken. No need for another ECG today.
I've cleaned the bedroom and put clean bedding on.
I've washed my dressing gown, and packed it along with my slippers, a book and tissues. I haven't been able to blow my nose for 6 weeks, and can only dab.
I've got the steam inhaler and Olbas oil ready.
I've got co-codamol and ibuprofen by my bed. They'll doubtless prescribe dihydrocodeine again, but I didn't find it very effective after the first operation so swapped to co-codamol and the pain relief was better.
I've stocked up on Curasept mouthwash and another palatable cheaper chlorhexadine one because the one they prescribe is like poison despite it being a leading brand.
I've visited my mum and done her shopping.
I'm as ready as I can be.
I had a phone call from the Waiting List Dept yesterday. I thought they were going to cancel my op, but it was a request that I go in at 7.30am rather than 11am as Mr E wants me on the morning list. It will give me more time to recover afterwards, before I have to go home, so I'm very grateful.
I really hope it's third time lucky, but also know that he operates on people who are in a much worse place than me.
Onwards.
Fingers crossed that this op is the one that works, and that your recovery is trouble free. You're certainly well prepared, well done you. I'll be thinking of you xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Sooze. I'm a bit wobbly and have a large bruise under my eye and a swollen face but I'm ok . The hospital have just rung with my follow up appointment for next Wednesday so that's put my mind at rest.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI'm so hoping and wishing this goes well and recovery is smooth. I don't know anyone could prepare better.
DeleteThanks SAM. Immediate post op was a bit rough and scary but I'm as okay as I can be today. We're going to the caravan with K and the little one. Im going to rest and sleep and they're going to have fun!
DeleteI hope your op goes really well and they manage to solve the issue. You can buy in Boots a stronger Co-Codamol which is 12.8 Codeine instead of the 8 in the normal dose. I think they also sell packs of ibuprofen and codeine. Hope this helps. Xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Gill. The op went well apparently, but post op was a bit rough. Those are the cocodamol I had bought! A bit pricey compared to the lower dose ones but they definitely helped with the tooth pain I had during the night.
DeleteGood luck, I hope all goes well..........
ReplyDeleteThanks Gill. It went well again. Now I just wait to see if the stitches hold this time 🤞
DeleteGood luck! Hope this will be third time lucky for you.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I hope so too as he's run out of tissue to use from my cheek without disfiguring me, he's used the roof of my mouth, and plan D will probably be to use my tongue which would be horrendous.
Delete