Sunday, 28 June 2026

An unexpected bonus

 I've bitten my nails for as long as I can remember. I know I was doing it aged 4, so that's 57 years if not more.

An unexpected bonus of having 3 operations on my mouth in a period of 6 weeks is that I haven't been able to bite my nails.

This was them on 23rd March. They were worse by the time of the first operation on 9th April.

Wearing my 60th birthday present citrine and diamond ring that was given to me after our ceremony at Gretna last year

This is them today. They still have vertical ridges, and some still grow with Beau's lines in them, 10 years after they originally appeared. My hands are wrinkled and my fingers are bent with arthritis. 

I'm never going to be a hand model, but my nails are a huge improvement on what they've been for the vast majority of my life!

I'm still learning to look after them and the only thing that looks OK on them is clear varnish. If I use anything else the ridges and lines show up too much and they look awful.

I did consider a manicure but I'm very low maintenance, and was shocked by the price.


6 comments:

  1. Your poor hands, the arthritis must be very painful. But well done on stopping biting your nails, the mouth ops have had another positive outcome! I used to bite my nails all the time when I was a child - I stopped though just like that at the age of 13 when my father left home. It was as if I unconsciously realised that as the eldest child, and with a mother who'd gone to pieces after he left, I had to grow up overnight and become the adult. I hope you achieve more little wins, they keep us going, don't they. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sooze. They can be bad, especially on the days when even something brushing against them is agonising. The right hand is more misshapen than the left.
      That sounds like such a difficult time Sooze, at an already difficult age.
      Yes, the little wins sometimes feel very big don't they!

      Delete
  2. My fingers will lock up, but not what you're experiencing. I'm so sorry you've been given such a hard trial, bith oast and currently. You girls and J are your light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks S. My hands can be very stiff, particularly if I've used them a lot the day before. I'm then unable to form a grip and they're painful.
      Yes, the family has kept me going in the blackest of times, more than they realise.

      Delete
  3. I have terrible arthritis in my hands (and feet), hereditary unfortunately, and I know how painful it can be. I also bit my nails until fairly recently, but having a very girly granddaughter who is into nail varnish and painting designs on nails, I resolved to stop, so she will be able to pretty my nails up. Take care. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill. It can be agony can't it? I also have it in my feet, diagnosed aged 50 along with my spine and hands. I think it's in my hips too but I've never seen the GP about those. The others were picked up when I was seeing a rheumatologist about an autoimmune disorder, though it was obvious in my fingers even then.
      How lovely that your grandaughter will be able to do your nails for you!

      Delete