Tuesday, 23 June 2026

Could it be?

At the carboot sale in Wales last year I found a painting. 

It was propped up on the floor at the front of the stall, but that's usually where the treasure lies. I've lost count of the amazing things that I've found languishing in boxes or propped up, all at ground level.

I liked it immediately... it's a landscape and it's oil on board. I've acquired a few original oils now, the most expensive costing £8. That's a Cornish painting bought in Liskeard. This one is a similar size, cost just £3 and to my untrained eye looked like a much higher quality painting.



I hung it on the wall with my others and admired it; it brings me great pleasure. Recently, curiosity got the better of me and I used Google to search the name on the painting.

If it's right, this is by James Sant. When I first started looking I coud only find portraits ( he was portrait painter to Queen Victoria), but then I found a couple of landscapes, and a couple of portraits with trees/ flowers as background...





Pink flowers appear in a number of the paintings I found, not just these but other portraits, and pink flowers are in my painting. My painting seemed 'looser' though, a bit freer, not so 'careful' in style. Then I read the Wikipedia entry which says...


Then I found this signature for him online...

Could my painting be a later one by James Sant? Looser in style, and of a garden. Maybe painted in his bed in his old age like the one mentioned in the Wikipedia entry? 

Who knows? 
It would be thrilling if a painting I bought because I loved it was by somebody well known and who was good enough to paint royalty, but it's highly unlikely I will ever know.

4 comments:

  1. Where's the Cash in the Attic guys? Maybe there'd because local art expert who'd be willing to appraise. I guess it just matters that it gives you joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have access to 'Fake or Fortune' over there? I love that programme and find it really informative. If it is a Sant, he has work hanging in the Tate, so my little painting would have a good pedigree!

      Delete
  2. If Antiques Roadshow ever came to your area, you could take your lovely painting along. As you say its always the best treasures found on the ground or in boxes at car boots. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be wonderful. So many good things are missed by people who only look at table height!

      Delete