Saturday, 25 April 2026

Incarnations

Back in 2011 when I first started blogging,  it was to record the shoestring renovation of our house ' Beyond the Nook', which is a 1950s bungalow that was a bit run down and unloved. 
I still try to do things on a shoestring, and always look at secondhand as my first option, whether that's from a charity shop, a carboot sale, auction, Facebook marketplace or antique store. Failing that, I try to buy discounted items.
The caravan is no exception to that ethos, with secondhand in every room.

When we bought the caravan in 2024 this is what the double bedroom looked like. At the window was a pair of brown/ red/ cream striped curtains which was the colour scheme throughout the caravan. I went with what was there and bought some very cheap bedding in brown and red and used the Marks and Spencer cream throw and cushions that came with the caravan. I can't find any photos of it like that, but the orientation of the caravan means the room doesn't get much sun and it was dark.

My younger daughter always used this room when there with us or her partner and we used one of the twin bedrooms, the little one having the other twin. 
In 2025 I found the fabric for the headboard for £1 at the carboot, my daughter bought the bedding half price in Sainsbury's, and I bought the curtains for around £12 in T J Hughes, then lined them with an old sheet. We used the existing cream throw and cushions as they were good quality and in immaculate condition. 




When we decided to move to the caravan ( not there yet due to the recent double surgery!) I knew that the bedroom wasn't 'me'.  I didn't want to spend a lot but wanted it to look more homely, rather than a holiday place, and to have colour as it was too insipid for me.
 My younger daughter came to the rescue as she had changed the colour scheme in her bedroom at home from green and pink back to neutrals. She gave me her duvet sets, and the green throw, and sold the things I didn't want on Vinted.

 I bought the curtains for £19.99 from B and Q, the cerise cushion covers were £1.50 each from a charity shop, the mustard cushion was £1 on the carboot in 2025, the cream cushions came with the caravan. I bought a couple of pairs of pillowcases in Asda( a cerise pair and a dark green pair)...I think they cost £4 in total. 

The plant and pot are from home( there are more plants at the other side of the room) and the pictures were painted by my elder daughter. The towels in the picture are there ready for her and my son in law's arrival a few weeks ago... we are still using our twin room.

The pink rug on the floor is also courtesy of my younger daughter, and I bought 2 new hand towels for the ensuite, 1 in cerise and 1 in dark green. Other than that I've just moved plants there from home and a few ornaments at the other side of the room where the wardrobe and dressing table are.

I can't wait to be back there but want to wait until I've seen my consultant in a couple of weeks. The thought of something going wrong with my mouth while I'm away from home fills me with fear...
It's bad enough that K broke her wrist whilst there last weekend.

*****
A face update... the anaesthetist said that he'd ask the surgeons to inject as much lidocaine as possible after surgery, which along with the painkillers which went in through the cannula should keep me comfortable on the day.
When I finally came to, I had that frozen feeling you get after the dentist; it extended from my chin right up to my eye.
It still hasnt worn off after 3 days and I have intermittent nerve pain. My right eye is drooping and I can't raise the right side of my face in a smile at all. I look a bit like Sloth off the Goonies. I assume there's some sort of nerve damage, either due to the injections or the surgery. Who knows if it's temporary or permanent.  Probably permanent knowing my luck!
I'm also still completely and utterly wiped out, but things could be worse.

Luckily I've got a number of posts ready in drafts that I just need to add little updates to when I'm awake/ have the energy.






2 comments:

  1. Joan from Dublin25 April 2026 at 22:52

    I really hope that the nerve damage is only temporary and that you can soon return to your happy place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely need to rest up for as long as it takes, Scarlet. A good time to plan your new life. The caravan looks great, it's so satisfying making it your own, I know we enjoyed that. Xx

    ReplyDelete