The first of this week's appointments was short, but mum also wanted shopping despite spending over £200 at Asda last week. Over an hour of shopping in Sainsbury's and another £150+ spent, ' Just in case you go away for a long time again'... the longest that I've been away is just over 2 weeks.
I have no idea why one almost 88 year old woman needs so much grocery shopping!
The vinyl wrap for her worktops arrived while I was away. I took it round and she approved it, so I did one side of the kitchen this afternoon.
This week has/will run as:
Monday: appointment for mum, then shopping at Sainsbury's with her, shopping at Lidl with J in the afternoon
Tuesday: town with J, called into garage to make appointment, I went to mum's to vinyl wrap part of her worktops. Discussed POA for health and welfare with her. Found previously used solicitor's details ( she's moved practice), arranged to email her on mum's behalf. I know it can be done online yourself but as mum has alienated everyone she doesn't have anyone to use as witnesses, so a solicitor it is. J went to the allotment.
Wednesday: appointment with mum, and she told me this afternoon that she needs more shopping as she forgot some things yesterday!
Thursday: car to the garage for 2 new tyres, finish vinyl wrapping mum's worktops ( the side with the sink so it won't be quick or easy)
Friday: appointment with mum in the morning. Nothing planned for the afternoon, though I'll need to pack.
Our little one was fast asleep in bed when we arrived home on Sunday, so their face lit up when I went to greet them at their bedroom door yesterday morning. They jumped into my arms, squeezed me tight, put their head on my shoulder and whispered, 'Grandma'.
I never had any yearnings for grandchildren, and always told my sister in law, who has 5, that if they came along I would love them, but if we never had any, then I'd be OK because I'd never know what I was missing.
It was true, but our little one is my pride and joy, and has enhanced my life so very much. I am blessed to have them in my life, to have seen them enter the world, to have looked after them, and to have shared my home with them for the last 2.5 years.
It wouldn't be for everyone, but it has worked for us.
They're the best part about being back in Lancashire.
That is a lot of groceries. Is she a name brand only shopper? Admittedly, I am sad, well wistful, about not having grandchildren. My oldest and youngest are very reluctant to ever being parents, economy, freeing lifestyle etc. But middle wants a family, but has not had any positive relationships and she will not settle on less than right for a partner. She doesn't want to choose to be a single parent either. She's had multiple friends marry,even with many flags that the relationship wasn't very strong, only to divorce. If it happens one day for any of them, great, but I just try and support them where they're at.
ReplyDeleteShe buys a mixture of branded and unbranded products, but mainly unbranded, so I can't even blame it on that!
DeleteK and A have never wanted children and have ensured they won't ever have any. They are a great auntie and uncle to our little one and to all of their friends' children but never wanted their own, a decision I completely supported them with, even before there was any prospect of KL having children.
My mum told me she was desperate for grandchildren, which I find really odd as my younger sister was only 8 when our nephew was born. My mum was 41 and my dad was 40 when they became grandparents; the sister giving birth was 19 and had been married for 2 years by then!