Thursday, 28 May 2026

5 minutes

My planned appointment yesterday was with another maxfac consultant.  I'd queried it with the appointments team but they said this happens when there's a need to be seen in a short time frame.

I'd just returned from a visit to the GP followed by the blood clinic yesterday morning when my phone rang. It was Dr W, who is the registrar on Mr E's team. He said Mr E was on leave ( hence the appointment with the other consultant), but his own operating list had been cancelled so could I go to see him instead as he'd prefer to see me himself as he's been part of the team at each of the 3 operations.

We arrived within half an hour of the call, and he was waiting for me, reading my anaesthetic notes as I'd told him about needing magnesium in recovery.

The guard was removed and the wounds were checked ( the roof of my mouth where they took the flap from is down to the bone as I thought). The best news is that everything is intact and looks as it should.

After that the guard was replaced and it has to stay in for another 3 weeks. I am now permitted to remove it a couple of times a day to soak it in mouthwash, giving me 5 minutes respite each time. 

The stitches will remain in for another 3 weeks. Just like Mr E did last week, he apologised for what I've been through, calling me a ' unique case.' I told him that's been the story of my life medically, where nothing is as it seems and things don't always go to plan. He confirmed that Plan D would be to use part of my tongue, so I was very relieved to hear things look ok at the moment.

The morning's blood tests show my magnesium levels are normal, but my Vitamin D for which I received mega doses last June, is now well below normal again, though not as dire as last year. Over the counter supplements have been advised with repeat bloods in 3 to 6 months.

My iron levels are just above normal, but when I checked the NHS app there has been quite a nosedive since they were also checked last June.

The vitamin D level isn't low enough for me to be feeling as I do. I'll give it a few weeks, just in case it is a cumulative effect of 3 general anaesthetics and not having eaten properly for 7 weeks, then I'll go back.

I spent ages on the phone to the insurance company yesterday afternoon which was exhausting. There was a lot to take in and J was out at a medical appointment so I couldn't double check things with him. I had explained about the surgeries and that talking puts pressure on the wounds and they were very kind but needed to know everything.

They said they'll give me a couple of days and ring if they haven't heard from me. I don't have the energy to contact them today as I went to one small shop this morning and took my mum to a medical appointment this afternoon. I've rested inbetween, and for the last 2 hours, and still feel wiped out.

I'm not having to take quite so many painkillers now, and am managing to go through the night without them so that's another positive.

The guard is still painful, but at least now I can have 5 minutes free of it.


4 comments:

  1. Glimmer of hope. I too am so sorry for all you've gone through. I hope the next three weeks turns into great results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SAM. Fingers crossed that the healing continues.

      Delete
  2. So some small but positive steps, that's good to know, Scarlet. I'm glad for you. Pity about the car stuff, just when you could do with less stress. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sooze. Today, I feel overwhelmed by the car stuff today. The last 7 weeks are beginning to take their toll now and I've still all my mum's shopping and admin to deal with on top!

      Delete