Wednesday, 15 July 2026

Food


Strawberries and Greek yoghurt for breakfast. I topped it with some failed, cranberry and pecan flapjack that I made on Monday. I didn't have any finer oats so just used the chunky ones... big mistake as it mostly crumbled. It still tastes good though!

Quorn 'chicken', pea and red pepper risotto. I didnt have any parmesan so grated some extra mature cheddar on a fine grater.

Toasted ham and cheese sandwich with salad

Red pesto and bacon pasta, sprinkled with parmesan. Used up the leftover salad.


Haddock fish fingers with salad... always haddock for us as we find cod to be tasteless 

Just a few of the things I've eaten since we got here. Salad has featured a lot, and Ive tried to have proper meals, but it hasn't always happened. 

I had bran flakes with raisins and almond milk for my main meal yesterday as J was at football and I was too tired to bother with anything else. It might seem like a rubbish meal, but the bran flakes are fortified with vitamins and iron, the almond milk contains vitamins and calcium, and the raisins contain iron and potassium.

It was my breakfast of choice when I was pregnant with KL.  I had my iron levels checked when I was 16 weeks, and they were 12 point something so I didnt need iron tablets. They were rechecked at 32 weeks and had increased to 14 point something, which was a rarity for a patient not taking iron tablets. My midwife ( a friend, as I worked in the ante natal clinic at the time) asked what I'd been eating and when I mentioned the bran flakes and raisins she said that's what had done it!

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all look and sound delicious. To be honest, with just me again, fruit, granola, cereal. Yogurt and maybe eggs and toast will be my go to meals.

      Delete
    2. Thanks S. I can understand your food choices as I rarely cook... I'm just not very interested in cooked meals.

      Delete
  2. Joan from Dublin16 July 2026 at 08:08

    Your meals all look delicious - perfect for this hot weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan. Its been very much salad and cereal for the last few days.

      Delete
  3. What a good idea to use the failed flapjack as a sort of granola topping for the yoghurt and strawberries. Must feel wonderful to be able to eat a variety of food again. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sooze. It tasted so nice that it was a shame not to use it. Yes, it's good to be able to chew again. I'm still struggling to open my mouth very wide and I have intermittent nerve pain but it's much improved xx

      Delete
  4. Hello Scarlet. Long time reader but only commented once before, at most. Just thought I’d say I’m sorry about all the health issues lately. The dental treatment sounds horrific. I’m so happy about your holiday home, if anyone deserves a bit or rest and relaxation it is you, and your husband of course. The pictures of your meals look very tasty indeed. Perfect for this weather.
    I love how involved you are with your dear grandchild, I help to look after 2 of mine and it so rewarding but also exhausting. Our third little one sadly did not survive their birth and we lost them. This has devastated baby’s parents, their siblings and of course us as parents. Our family will never be the same. The parents, while heartbroken, have behaved with such dignity and trust in each other, I could not be more proud of them.
    I hope you continue to enjoy your time at the caravan and that you both keep in better health. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Maggie. I am so sorry to read of the loss of your grandchild. The death of a child is a pain nobody should have to bear and is unimaginable.
      My trials are nothing in comparison. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I'll be thinking of you all x

      Delete